Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When fire traumatizes your life, call on the highly trained individuals at SERVPRO of Chevy Chase Silver Spring for your restoration needs. SERVPRO specializes in restoring your property and salvageable content back to preloss condition. SERVPRO has completed over 400 fire or smoke related jobs in the past 13 years. Our compassionate and knowledgeable staff has over 200 combined years of expertise in this type of work. We have a 30,000 sq. ft. state of the art facility that allows us to clean, deodorize and store all of your salvageable content, while our reconstruction team restores your property. Here at SERVPRO we utilize our specialty equipment to restore all personal property from dishes, electronics, hard furniture, upholstered furniture to textiles and clothing. We always treat the customer and their property and belongings with the utmost respect.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (301) 588-2240
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.